© Coding4Youth.org. All rights reserved.
CS110C: Advanced Roblox Programming with Lua
Ready to take your game design to the next level? Expand your knowledge of programming while learning how to create more advanced games that you can play in Roblox! Advanced Roblox Game Design is for students who already have an understanding of the fundamentals of Roblox, a global gaming platform with millions of exciting 3D games. While refreshing programming logic fundamentals, the curriculum gives a very hands-on, project-based learning experience for students who wish to code games with more advanced features using Roblox Studio. By the end of the course, students will be able to create, play, and share more advanced games, as well as synthesize everything they’ve learned in future projects of their own. This course will provide students with tools that they can use in virtually any project, so that the student has unique building blocks of code that they can integrate into any game of their choosing. In this way, the student builds their very own toolkit. The student also learns how to create the backbone of several types of projects, all in which they can take creative control. Students are truly challenged to think like game-creators, and taught the skills needed to code their thoughts into a game reality! The first class session will cover software installation, configuration, and introductions.
|Building a Coding Toolkit||
- Introduces individual tools that the student can integrate into any game - Examples include showing day/night, health, damage, a pet that always follows the player, currency, moving parts, teleportation, click detectors, and more!
|Round-Based Game Loop||
- Teleporting the player - Loops that run every __ seconds - Timer, repeated rounds
- Models a weightlifting game - Points, rebirths, and how to keep track of these things - Leaderstats vs. player variables, and how to store these in the Roblox server - GUIs and TextButtons - Humanoid properties in Roblox, and how to change the properties of our choosing
- Player health and damage - Using click detectors to accomplish collecting - Spawning part clones from a random location
- How to build a wide-ranging coding toolkit, including tools such as:
- A refined, personalized leaderboard
- Healing / damaging the player’s health
- Game currency
- Moving parts
- And more!
- How to access different components of the game in our scripts
- Different types of scripts, and their respective purposes (script, module script, local script)
- The client-server model used by Roblox
- Remote events
- Remote functions
- Frameworks for certain types of projects, including:
- Round-based game loops
- Simulator (also known as weight-lifting)
- Wilderness survival
- How to generate random numbers in our code
- How to build upon project frameworks to customize advanced Roblox games
Introduction to Roblox Game Design.
You will need a PC or Mac computer with high speed internet connection as well as a headphone with a mic.
Please contact us through email at firstname.lastname@example.org, one of our counselors will assist you.